How Reddit Has Helped Me Become A Stronger Christian

redditalienatheismfinal

A Brief History Of Reddit In My Life

Besides checking my email and using Twitter and Facebook I would say that I don’t have a whole lot of browsing habits when it comes to how I consume information and entertain myself on the Internet. The fact that I am a type of web surfing gypsy traveling from one random website or app to another doesn’t really surprise me much considering that I have never consistently watched a tv show or subscribed to a magazine or newspaper. Maybe it stems from my deep-rooted fear of commitment and any type of structure in my life (which I’ve obviously been dealing with more and more the past few years).

But, somehow despite all this I have somehow developed one of my first habits/addictions when it comes to perusing the Internet. This addiction is Reddit and believe me, I never saw it coming.

Reddit, at least to me, is an awesome community that prides itself on finding the best of the web on a daily (and most of the time hourly) basis. The entire site is one big and super-active online social experiement that has been built up into one of the most visited and most influential places on the entire internet. I know that sounds like a big statement, but it’s true. If you need proof just read the story about how one random post on Reddit quicly turned into Stephen Colbert staging a full-fledged rally in Washington D.C. and over $100,000 being donated to his favorite charity. Yeah, I was pretty impressed, too.

Of course, even when the Reddit community is busy pulling off large-scale, national events they’re still the best source on the web for the most up-to-date, hilarious, shocking and interesting news on the web. That’s what Reddit was built for, it’s their bread and butter and it always will be. This constant flow of interesting news is the main reason why I first started making it a habit to check out Reddit via an app called Reddit Is Fun on my Android phone — multiple times a day. When Stephanie got an Android for Christmas last year she started checking Reddit all of the time, too which sometimes results in both of us browsing it in bed, in complete silence before we crash for the night. Yeah, it’s that’s good.

Reddit And Atheism Go Together Like Peanut Butter And Jelly

Just like with any healthy relationship, Reddit and I have our fair share of ups and downs. Although more times than not I feel like Reddit is a good-hearted community that pulls off some really amazing stuff, the one thing that I could do without is all of the Christian bashing that goes on over there all the time.

Personally, I’m not new to being around non-Christians — a lot of my friends, family and co-workers belong to that way of thinking, but the fact that Redditors can and often take it to a ridiculous level makes me question myself on why I continue to visit the community as much as I do. If you want an example of what I’m talking about you can take a quick browse over their incredibly active Atheism section. You’ll quickly see that nearly every, single post is against Christianity although Atheism is clearly defined as “someone who denies the existence of god”, not as being anti-Christian. Why they choose to focus on Christianity probably has to do with the fact that it’s the major religion in the United States, but it still doesn’t make much sense.

Should Christians Even Read Reddit?

As a Christian I need to constantly analyze where I’m spending my time and sometimes I feel like I should cut Reddit out of my life completely. Even though that might seem a little much considering that Reddit is just another app on my phone that helps me kill time, it was an important thing for me to recognize and has resulted in me spending a lot of time thinking and praying about how I should react to what I see posted on there.

One powerful thing that I’ve realized is that even though it’s a constant struggle to see the types of things that get posted on Reddit, I’m willing to deal with them and it’s actually a healthy way for me to face the more common objections to Christianity. By seeing what most Atheists cling to as their main objections to Christianity it allows me to question my own faith, which then results in me digging more into the Bible and talking with other Christians about it.

Most of the time this leads me to an answer that is aligned with my Christian beliefs, which is great since I’m then armed with something new when speaking to others about my faith. It’s not an easy process and it takes some dedication, but it’s one that I think works for me.

So in other words, being exposed to the anti-Christians on Reddit has actually made me a stronger Christian. Pretty interesting, huh?

Note: initially this was going to be a post about how it was nice to see a video posted by Christian musicians on the front page of Reddit (for a good reason), but I ended going in a different direction. I think this works, too so it’s all good. See the video below.

Talkies (we love hearing from you!)

8 Talkies! to “How Reddit Has Helped Me Become A Stronger Christian”

1. Nick on March 28th, 2011 10:02 am

I’m glad you’re open to discussion, but I’d encourage you not to fall into the type of thinking that “person A’s argument sucked, so I’m right”. There are stupid atheists just like there are stupid Christians.

I’m genuinely curious how you reaffirm your Christian beliefs in situations where it essentially boils down faith vs. facts. Some (many) things in the Bible can be explicitly proven false, or completely ridiculous, so why do you believe the core points as you understand them are any more true?

2. Kyle on March 28th, 2011 10:21 am

First up, let me tell you that I am an atheist and have been for many years however I bear no ill will toward any person for their particular religious belief. I truly believe that choice in religion (or lack thereof) is an intimately personal choice and as such I have no right to force my own beliefs on other people.

As you stated, reddit has a primarily American user base and as such, the religion that the average Reddit user is exposed to is Christianity. It is therefore not surprising that the Atheism community chooses to focus its ire on the Christian population. However, you will notice that majority of negative posts about Christianity are primarily focused on those more extreme, hard-line variety of Christians that, frankly, make the rest of the group seem bad. The reason for this is simple, it’s the other side of the same coin. It is this same group of people who vilify atheists on a daily basis. It comes as no surprise that people go on the defensive: its human nature. The /r atheism sub-reddit is one of the few places like minded individuals can come together and, among other things, vent.

I am also more than willing to admit that some users take things too far, but once again, they are hardly alone in that approach. The fact of the matter is, when one is constantly surrounded by practices that go against your beliefs (intolerance towards the GLBT community, teaching ID as a science etc) coupled with the blatant manipulation and electioneering that politicians and influential persons use Christianity for, it is hardly surprising that atheists use /r atheism as a platform to voice their discontent/rage/disappointment.

I think that you are unable to objectively see /r atheism for what it is (as I mentioned, one’s religious belief is an intimate thing). Its not anti-christian per se, rather exasperation at a sub-group of the religion who twist it’s core values to suit their own agendas.

3. Jason on March 28th, 2011 10:51 am

You got the ‘clear’ definition of atheism wrong. Atheism is solely a lack of belief in gods. It’s the opposite of theist; one who has a belief in gods.

It’s not the outright denial of gods. The inclusion of ‘denial’ imposes too much certainty into the definition.

4. Mattty on March 29th, 2011 2:08 pm

Love this blog.

5. Kinsa on November 15th, 2011 9:04 am

This kills me every time:

“Some (many) things in the Bible can be explicitly proven false, or completely ridiculous”

…such as? No one EVER answers that!

6. Kevin on April 11th, 2012 11:46 pm

Well Kinsa, there is a site for just that. It is called skeptic’s annotated bible. I guess I could start at Genesis. Genesis asserts that:

1. The earth came before light and the stars. (FALSE)
    2. Birds and whales came before reptiles and insects. (FALSE)
    3. And flowering plants came before any animals. (FALSE)
    4. That light was created before the sun and the stars. (FALSE)
    5. Plants were created before the sun. (FALSE)

There are plenty more, like the bible claiming that people can rise from the dead, snakes can talk, that the earth is around 6,000 years old, that the whole universe was created in 6 days, that someone can live in a whale for multiple days and come out alive, that the earth was flooded all over and every single species was on a single boat and later redistributed across the whole planet.

These are all things that are demonstrable as false. This is only the tip of the iceberg. Shall we go into magical claims of unicorns dragons and warlocks?

Sorry for late reply, read this kinda late.

7. Wayne B on June 23rd, 2012 1:04 pm

Kevin - RE: your list… there is such a thing as allegory.

8. Ari on June 29th, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Kevin

Were you there when the earth came into existence?

What do you want to tell us, hmmm?